Canvas Parent Guide
Get a jump start on how to use Canvas, our learning management system, to view your child’s daily assignments and grades.
Sometimes parents want to see their child’s Canvas account so they can see assignment due dates, announcements, and other course content. Providence 6th-12th grade parents can now be observers in Canvas to assist their child in their educational journey. There are two methods to observe your child(s) account: the website (which offers the most complete content) and the “Canvas Parent App” for your iOS or Android device. Remember, observers can view the course content but cannot participate in the course. To sign up navigate over to Canvas and click the link “Parent of a Canvas User“. You will need to know your child’s Stallion ID and password to create your account.
A few of the options you will have as an observer are:
- See the Dashboard
- Read Announcements and Discussions
- See the Assignments Page
- See the Syllabus Page
- See the Calendar
- View Grades
For detailed information see the following resources:
- What is the Observer role?
- How can I use Canvas on my mobile device as an observer?
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a parent?
- How do I accept an invitation to join a course as an observer?
- How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?
Profile and User Settings
- How do I reset my password as an observer?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an observer?
- How do I edit my profile in my user account as an observer?
- How do I connect to web services outside of Canvas as an observer?
- How do I change the language preference in my user account as an observer?
- How do I view my user files as an observer?
- How do I view course files as an observer?
- How do I use the Calendar as an observer?
- How do I navigate a Canvas course as an observer?
- How do I join a conference in a course as an observer?
- How do I edit a course page as an observer?