Dear Providence Lower School Parent(s):
I am so excited about the upcoming school year and having the privilege to serve as the Lower School Principal of Providence School. I look forward to being a partner with your family as we each play our roles in raising up your children to become who they are each ordained to be from the foundation of time. To use their gifts and abilities to glorify Christ. I know the Lord has great plans for Providence and I am richly blessed to be a part of this great ministry. Please know that my door is open to meet with you.
My hope is that all of our students will return rested and refreshed – ready to begin a rewarding new school year. The summer office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am to 3:00pm. The office will close for Independence Day on Tuesday, July 4. If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to call us at (904) 223-5270 or set up an appointment through Jenny Cannon, Administrative Assistant to Lower School. Have a great summer!
Summer Math & Reading
The summer math and reading is required work for all Providence new and returning students. The assigned math workbook pages and reading activity should be completed and brought to school on Friday, August 11, 2017. If the books were not purchased during the Providence presale, the workbook may be purchased at the St. Johns Center, Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Please see the Summer Math & Reading page for grade specific assignment information.
It is very important that we always have the most up-to-date information about your student. There is a form in the office and online to update information with regard to change of address, phone number, grandparent address change, emergency contacts, etc. This form must be updated to keep our means of communication and mailings accurate. We appreciate your attention to this request. If updating online, please go to the following link: www.prov.org/advancement/student-family-information-update.
Class Assignments and Supply Lists
Many factors are considered when class placement is made for our students. Please pray for our teachers and administration as they compile class lists. The class lists will be finalized and mailed out the first week of July. The mail out will also include a welcome letter from the teacher and class specific supply list for 2017-2018.
Providence School is partnering with eTechCampus as an option for families to rent/purchase textbook packages. eTechCampus packages can be accessed through the Providence website beginning July 3rd. Families who prefer to purchase books separately through other sources can find the book titles and ISBN numbers in eTechcampus after July 3rd. Login information will be provided in a technology letter being mailed to you this summer.
Parent Orientation and PTP Meeting
It is always our pleasure to welcome new and returning families back for the start of another great school year. Please mark the following dates on your calendar:
Monday, August 7, 2017
- Book/Supply Drop-off Grades 2-5 8:00 – 9:00am classrooms
- Parent Orientation Grades: K-2 3:30 – 4:30pm classrooms
- PTP Meeting (K-2) 4:30 – 5:00pm main dining hall
- Parent Orientation Grades: 3-5 4:30 – 5:30pm classrooms
- PTP Meeting (3-12) 5:30 – 6:00pm main dining hall
Parent Teacher Partnership (PTP)
We encourage you to join PTP this year. The Parent Teacher Partnership sponsors many activities that benefit teachers, parents and students. PTP offers an opportunity to build relationships in a community atmosphere. Involvement includes the Lower School Parent Council, Sporting Events, classroom activities, and social events. All parents may join at Parent Orientation or online.
Office Hours (beginning August 7, 2017)
The Lower School Office will be open from 7:30am to 3:30pm beginning Monday, August 7, 2017. We look forward to serving you during these times. For the safety of our students, all visitors and volunteers are expected to sign in and receive a visitor’s badge from our Security Desk located in the foyer of the school. We appreciate your attention to this request.
General School Information
For the 2017-2018 school year, Lower School classes begin at 7:50am and end at 2:50pm, with the exception of early release (for Professional Development) on Wednesdays when class ends at 2:15pm. Students are not allowed in the hallways prior to 7:45am: K students are escorted to the Lower School Dining Hall, students in First and Second grades report to the Main Dining Hall and students in Third – Fifth grades report to Barfield Gym. Please note August 9th, 10th and 11th are ½ days and Lower School is dismissed at 11:30am.
- Traffic: Please remember we are a school and have students walking in the driving and parking areas. We ask that you drive as if your own child is in the parking lot. Speeding, illegally passing cars and cutting through parking spaces is not permitted, as this seriously increases the chances of an accident. We ask that you refrain from the use of mobile devices while in the carpool lanes. Traffic is especially heavy at peak times (20 minutes before and after the start and dismissal of school). Remember that the first week is always particularly hectic, so we do ask for your patience as our parents learn the traffic pattern. Please allow extra time in your schedule for drop off during the first week.
- Parking: Maps and traffic flow patterns are given out during Parent Orientation and will be available on-line. Please observe the “No Parking” in the fire lanes or in the lanes in front of the school. Please always use the designated crosswalks. Students are watching for role models.
- AM Drop-off: If you are not escorting your child into the building, please note that all Lower School students must be dropped off in front of the school by 7:45am (Patrols are off duty at 7:45am). This location is for your child’s safety, and protection as this is the only area of the school that has adult supervision.
- Tardiness: All Lower School students are required to get a tardy slip from the Lower School office if not in class by 7:50am. If a student receives five unexcused tardies in a quarter, a detention is issued for the fifth and any subsequent tardies.
- PM Pick-up: All Lower School students will stay with their classroom teachers at their designated location for a safe and secure dismissal. Dismissal begins at 2:50pm and ends at 3:00pm (Wednesdays begins at 2:15pm and ends at 2:25pm). A color-coded poster with your child’s number and teacher’s name are issued at Parent Orientation. These posters must be displayed from the rearview mirror every day for a safe release of our students. Any students remaining after 3:00pm (Wednesdays at 2:25pm) will be placed in Extended Day and will be charged accordingly.
- Sibling Pick-up: is available on a daily basis for our Lower School students who have a sibling in Middle or Upper School from 2:50-3:15pm (Wednesdays from 2:15-2:35pm) in the Main Dining Hall.
- Length of Day: For students to receive a full day attendance, they must be in school a minimum of four hours. A student is considered absent if he/she does not meet the minimum of four hours.
- Sign-out Procedure: Please send a note to the office or email the teacher for early dismissals, so that we can ensure your child will be ready when you arrive. To avoid disruption of final assignments and review for the day, no Lower School students are to be signed-out within 20 minutes of dismissal on any given day for grades K-5.
The Stallion eNews in addition to our website is our primary means of communication with our Providence families. If you are not currently receiving eNews from the school, please sign up at this link: https://www.prov.org/parents/stallion-enews-subscription.
You will receive a welcome e-mail with information about your eNews subscription. If you do not receive the welcome email in your inbox, check your junk mail and spam folders. The email will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to mark the email as “not junk/spam” and put the address in your address book so that you will receive future eNews.
The updates for the Providence School Handbook for 2017-2018 are being finalized. You will be notified via eNews when the updates to our Student Handbooks are complete and ready for your review. Please be advised you will be asked to sign a form or acknowledgement during Parent orientation. Thank you for your assistance in this request.
Ms. Darlene Perkins, Extended Day Director, is accepting K-8 applications for students requiring before and after school care. Hours of operation for Extended Day are from 7:00am until 6:00pm. Applications are available in the office and on-line.
For families interested in enrolling on Wednesday only, the hours and fees are as follows:
Grades K-5: 2:15 – 3:15 there is a $10.00 registration fee and then a $10.00/per Wednesday charge.
Providence School has partnered with Sage Dining Services to provide fresh-cooked meals for your children. To purchase food, you can make online payments including an auto-pay feature to replenish your child’s account weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. For your convenience, we are adding additional auto-pay options that will be available as school begins. You can also pay by check or cash in the Providence business office. There will be a drop box by the back door of the business office to drop off payments. We will no longer receive payments in the main dining hall.
The dining portal at https://www.prov.org/campus-life/dining-services uses a SSO (Single Sign-on) system linked to your student’s campus network account. We will be mailing a technology letter over the summer to provide you the login information for all of our campus systems. Note: If your child changes the password on campus this new password should be used for the dining logins as well. We are implementing a self-service password management system that will allow password resets and unlocks 24/7.
After School Clubs for Grades K-5
Lower School is excited to offer a variety of activities and clubs for our students after school. Information about these opportunities will be posted in eNews and on the website. If your child is interested in participating, please follow instructions to register.
May the rest of your summer be restful for you and your family. Again, I appreciate the opportunity to partner with your family and look forward to seeing each of you in August.
“In pursuit of academic distinction for all students, Providence School, in partnership with home and church, is committed to disciple students to boldly model Christ-likeness, pursue excellence, and become servant leaders who courageously transform the culture for the glory of God and country.”